Sunday, May 15, 2011

LOVE Speaks

These past few weeks we have been in a series at church titled: Learn 2 Love. On the very first week we were to give ourselves our own grade on how we are at loving others: family, children, spouse, coworkers, etc. Honestly, only 1 person in my life came into my mind as someone that I would like to work more at loving. Ironically, as we travel through the series I seem to keep having people added to my list! And unfortunately, they aren’t added until some version of conflict has arose. Which brings me back to my own self reflection that there is a common denominator in all of that and it is ME!


Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace (favor or good things that we don’t deserve) to those who hear. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:29 – 4:32

Our words reveal our heart.

The idea of understanding we did wrong isn’t about us saying to ourselves, “I wasn’t careful with my words.” That’s not an excuse for the behavior; it is the problem in and of itself.

Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow in anger. James 1:19

I need to LISTEN MORE and NOT TALK so much.

Our sermon gave this advice:

Before you speak, will your loving words 1) give grace, 2) build up, and 3) fit the occasion?

TONE and TIMING are everything.

In the future I need to check with my heart before I speak and ask myself, “What is the benefit of speaking and what will the outcome of me speaking be?”

I’m a work in progress…….


post signature

2 comments:

Matthew Chelette said...

Casey,
Your insight is something to be desired. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Just for the record, your words are always pleasant to hear. The world would be a better place with more people like you.

The Chelette Family said...

That was Tracy, not Matt. Oops!